Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The spring thaw: frozen

Inspired by my friend, Kate, I set last week's prompt as abstract. I really wanted to engage with the prompt so I began by reading this online article on abstract photography. It stressed the importance of form, colour and line--three fundamentals that work together to invoke an emotional or instinctual rather than intellectual response in the viewer. In taking abstract photos this week, I wasn't trying to dispense with representational photography altogether; instead, I was hoping that the objects I photographed would rely on the essence of those three fundamentals over and above any quick or easy reliance on their straight-up meaning as objects themselves. I didn't follow the prompt every single day but for over half the week, I gave it the college try.

225:365

225:365



226:365

226:365



227:365

227:365 Extinction (For this picture I used a handy-dandy technique that my friend, Quadelle, taught me.



228:365

228:365

Next I want to tell you a couple of stories in sequence as they played out on my back deck Sunday morning. I'm not sure which shot to award the pic of the day, but I'll slap on a number somewhere in the pack and you can tell me if you disagree.

One

IMG_0997

IMG_1034

IMG_0921


Two (Now with bokeh!)

IMG_1108

IMG_1119

229:365

229:365

Three (Now with aspirations towards the abstract!!)

IMG_1044

IMG_1129



Also taken on Sunday for another project I'm working on:

More than genes


230:365

230:365


231:365
231:365

_______________

Sunday was the kind of day that sends me to bed happy that I took on this gruelling project. Photographing those drops as they melted from my roof also made me realize what this week's prompt needs to be. Help me, friends, for I fear I have the motion sickness.

7 comments:

  1. Holy Eff, those droplet photos are amazing! I am really, really impressed. And I love the book shot, too. But you are right to be proud of this week's photos, they are all great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sue, I don't even know where to start. These are all divine. You've got such a great sense of story and composition. Just fantastic. And those drops! You're inspiring me right back.

    (Liking that new lens, eh?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Don't ask me to choose among the droplets; if they were my shots, I would make a tryptich (however you spell it)
    And the book shot is Clever Sue squared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love these! my fav is the dinosaurs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great.

    I like the first in Group three because of the solidity of the background color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are some breathtaking pictures here! I love the books. I love the bicycle shadow. And I love the girl in the boots in the puddle.

    And the droplets are just cool.

    ReplyDelete