Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Try to guess

That's right, just try to guess what this is:

014:365

014:365


I'll tell you at the end of the post, but first a little business.

Steve emailed me last night with a great suggestion: to have a chat space where we could talk about our general interest in/questions about photography in a forum that's easier to access than the comment section of individual blogs. I agreed wholeheartedly and created a public group on Facebook. You can access and join it here. I don't think you even need a Facebook account to view it. You'll notice there's already a few discussions started. Jump in if'n you want to.

Tomorrow is Wednesday which means it's time for a new prompt. This week I am going for a challenge that should be eye-catching: BOLD.

And now to identify the mystery object: Last week, on a beach on White Head Island, Len discovered what we think is a sea gull's jaw bone, complete with an almost full set of teeth. As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted to snap it while the prompt was still "scrub", for it had been scrubbed clean and bleached white by the ocean's tides. I took a few pictures of it today all of which were lack lustre. That's when I put it in the corner of our three-way bathroom mirror. Suddenly it became became this eerie, abstract combination of lines. The bathroom mirror is a bit of a hub in our household so I am quite certain I'll be using it again. The gull skull, on the other hand, will likely start collecting dust quite soon.

8 comments:

  1. I knew it was a jaw bone of some sort, but I'm astounded at your creativity in capturing it this way. It's almost Escher-like (I know, that's a comparison that's over-used). Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent photo. The mirrors are a stroke of genius. However, I'm pretty sure gulls don't have teeth/jawbones. Which leaves the intriguing question: what or who did you pick up in Grand Manan? I'm guessing some sort of herbivore. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teya, it's definitely some kind of bird--or at least that's what the end of the beaky-part seems to suggest. As to what it really is, I have no idea whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way cool - I identified the mirrored jawbone, but not what kind.
    Love the forum idea! I'm all over it already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue--this is really cool, and I love the way the mirror works to complicate the image. I think your project is important and interesting--go you--for 365 days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it.

    I had no idea seagull have teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't be a gull b/c of the teeth, but it is way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd bet money that it's a deer's jaw. LOVE the mirror...

    ReplyDelete