Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Shooting in the opposite direction of the pretty

When I set yesterday's prompt, I wasn't thorough in my explanation of it. I didn't mean to imply that Alejna had recommended shooting past the pretty. It's just that her comment made me notice how rarely I do so and that maybe it would be a good idea to try it. I also didn't mean to imply that pretty referred only to subject matter--even though I know that's exactly what I did imply. For me "the pretty" is often tied to formal composition and the desire to get focus and depth of field clear. I like my pictures to be neat and tidy, even though that's not necessarily what I like to look at in the pictures of others. Today I tried to throw out all my notions of neatness when it comes to composition and focus. I really liked the results.

043:365

043:365

I live in mess and this shot shows it: the dress up clothes, the weights, the clutter on the coffee table, the papers on the floor of the office...

I'm keen on the multiple reflections provided by the mirror and the French doors. I like how I can see the tree out my front window as well as the clothesline out my back window. I like the butterfly that still hangs from the light fixture, 9 months after the birthday party. And I like how I can make out the poster for the play that my husband opened on the night our daughter was born. You can see it there not too far above the silhouette of the rocking chair I rocked her in when she was a baby. The girl is dancing to the Belle of Belfast City, her favourite song of all time.

5 comments:

  1. Amazing. I do love a busy photo, but it sometimes takes more investment from the viewer. And it's nice to have a little guided tour, now and then. I see now what you meant about the "shooting past the pretty"...I'm thinking that as Joe returns to teaching and starts a course himself, I'm having less time to shoot during the day anyway, so less time to really set up a shot. It's a good time to start thinking about finding a good shot the first or second time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am often torn about the stuff in the back of photos... it is nice to have some pictures where you can clearly place the subject and time... so much of what I remember about the first house of my childhood is supported by the pictures, and I'll look them and think "oh yes! that carpet that I used to trace patterns on" and "oh, that hideous painting" and "yikes, I remember those plates"... but sometimes I think it just clutters up what I'm really trying to capture when I take a picture.

    I suppose, as always, that there are benefits to both.

    also... sometimes I look at these pictures people are posting and think "yegads, there homes are so neat and pristine" - so I love seeing that yours, like mine, is not. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mirrors are amazing. And I am so with you on the neat and tidy bit; it is a real effort for me not to arrange stuff. I also paint - oils and watercolour - and I edit reality even more. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the results, too. And the "tour." I'm also one who wonders how the living spaces of so many of my fellow crew members seem so tidy always. I live alone except for my dog, and I can't even begin to manage tidy. You should see what's beyond the darkness of my most recent posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay I love this picture--and love it especially in black and white. I also took one this weekend of my messy desk that also has a mirror in it--(and before I read or saw you blog posting), but it doesn't look nearly as interesting. Why is it that other people's clutter nearly always looks fascinating and inviting to me, but mine looks always hideous and dull?

    ReplyDelete